- Formulate and implement youth development and empowerment policies, programmes and projects.
- Set up mechanisms to mainstream youth development issues in national development and empowerment policies and programmes.
- Promote the full participation of youths in decision-making processes
- Formulate and implement skills development policies.
- Equip youth with technical, vocational and entrepreneurial skills for employment creation and self-sustenance.
- Develop relevant curricula for vocational and entrepreneurial skills training for the youth.
- Equip youths with relevant pre-vocational and life-long skills for personal growth, technical and self-sustenance.
- Strengthen the capacity of youths in peacebuilding, conflict prevention, management, resolution and transformation.
- Conduct national orientation through teaching about the liberation legacy and national values.
- Inculcate an entrepreneurial mindset in youths.
- Inculcate the tenets of discipline and patriotism to promote professional and ethical conduct.
- Formulate and implement sport and recreation policies and strategies.
- Institutionalize and enforce good corporate governance in sport and recreation.
- Establish a facility for the provision of sports and recreation equipment and amenities.
- Coordinate the interface between national associations and their regional and international mother bodies.
- Formulate and implement arts and culture policies and strategies that facilitate the development of the arts and culture.
- Institutionalize and enforce good corporate governance in the arts and culture sector.
- Promote and encourage public interest in the Arts and Culture in schools, institutions and communities.
- Establish and equip cultural and creative industries
- Provide financial support services.
- Asset management.
- Stores management.
- Transport management.
- Information and Computer Technology management.
The Department has two sections namely Finance and Administration. The Finance Section is responsible for coordinating budget preparations and mobilization of resources, processing payments, providing financial reports and responding to audit queries. Its activities are regulated by the Finance Act (23.04), Public Finance Management Act (22.19), Treasury Instructions 2019 as amended, Treasury Circulars, Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Act (22:23), the Appropriation Act and Accounting Officers Instructions and Circulars. The Administration Section provides material resources and services to the Ministry with a view of contributing to service delivery of the Ministry. The year 2020 was a very difficult one for the Department. Most planned projects were adversely affected by the effects of COVID 19 pandemic and runaway inflation. Prices were frequently rising to unprecedented levels thereby hampering progress across all aspects of the Ministry’s operations.
Functions of Finance and Administration Department
- Provide financial and administrative support services;
- Financial Reporting;
- Transport Management;
- Asset Management;
- Provision of Office Accommodation;
- Stores Management and
- Provision of Communication Services.
- Implementing financial policies in the Ministry;
- Preparing the annual budget for the Ministry through co-coordinating the preparation of estimates of revenue and expenditure in line with classification of fiscal data complying with Government Financial Statistics Manual 2014 and Program Based Budgeting as adopted by Treasury;
- Coordinating the implementation of the budget of the Ministry;
- Mobilizing resources for funding the budgetary requirements of the Ministry
- Managing the Ministry’s creditors and other obligations and developing a framework of debt control and as well as debtors for the Ministry;
- Consolidating the annual appropriation accounts and other financial statements of the Ministry in a format determined by the Nationals Accounting Standards Board (NASB) and in line with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Ensuring compliance with IPSAS prescribed and published by the NASB and as guided by Treasury from time to time;
- Ensuring proper management and control of, and accounting for the finances of the Ministry and its entities in order to promote efficient and effective use of the budgetary resources;
- Maintaining proper accounts and other records in respect of the Ministry ,the public funds accounts administered by the Ministry;
- Providing the Treasury with information which it may require to carry out its responsibilities under the Constitution and the PFMA;
- Reporting regularly to the National Assembly on the implementation of the annual budget, quarterly reports and the annual reports; and
- Taking any other action to further the implementation of the PFMA in relation to the Ministry.
- Fleet Management for the Ministry
- Management of Assets for the Ministry in terms of maintenance and disposal in line with PFMA and regulations.
- Preparation of assets returns and schedules for IPSAS and GFSM 2014 adoption
- Management of inventories including the receiving of goods and services offered to the Ministry by suppliers
- Office accommodation and housing for the Ministry requirements
- Offering logistics in terms of events management
- Introduce, manage and anticipate change in the structure, system and goals of the Ministry in line with approved changes in the Public Service.
- Coordinate human capital development programs.
- Manage and promote discipline and industrial relations.
- Promote health and safety issues.
- Monitor the implementation of regional and international treaties, protocols and conventions on Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation;
- Manage the Ministry’s Dash Board and guide development forecasts monthly and periodically.
- Direct the overall framework for monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Track progress on implementation of Ministry programmes against set milestones and targets ensuring that value capture is achieved and sustained.
- Lead the review of workplace policies and procedures in the Ministry, ensuring that they are all-inclusive.
- Coordinate the implementation of policies and programmes on the welfare of persons with disability in the Ministry.
- Coordinate the formulation, implementation and evaluation of gender mainstreaming, inclusivity and wellness policies, strategies and programmes in the Ministry in consultation with Heads of Departments and make recommendations to the Secretary.
- Develop policies, procedures and training necessary for effective youth, sport, arts and recreation commercial business units.
- Provide technical support in entrepreneurship development and management of Hubs for Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation.
- Design incubation hubs for Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation.
- Develop empowerment and funding models for youth, sport, arts and recreation programmes
Procurement Management Unit
- Provide sound legal advice to the Ministry on various legal issues about the day-to-day administration of the Ministry.
- Review policy in relation to pieces of legislation under the Ministry’s jurisdiction to be aligned with the Constitution of Zimbabwe, amendment (No. 20) Act 2013.
- Review changes to legislation (Acts) administered by the Ministry in consultation with stakeholders and prepare draft proposal documents to the Attorney General’s Office, to be in alignment with the Constitution of Zimbabwe Amendment (No. 20) Act 2013.
N.B. These files deposited at the National Records can be recalled